Easy 3 ingredient Plantain Tortilla Recipe. They’re gluten-free & vegan! I love plantain tortillas because they fluffier then corn tortillas and they have a slight sweetness. They’re great on their own or super delicious as tacos.
Check out the full step-by-step printable recipe below!
Plantain Tortilla Recipe
- Food Processor
- Tortilla Press or Rolling pin
- Parchment or wax paper
- 2 each Plantains, Green
- To Taste Salt & pepper
- 1-2 T. Tapicoa startch/flour
- 3-4 T. Oil for frying Safflower, canola, etc.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Cut the plantains into 1 inch slices, discard the end piece.
- Boil the plantains until a fork is easily inserted. About 10-15 minutes
- Cool the plantains. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes to speed up the process.
- Peel the plantains discarding the outer peel.
- In the food processor, combine the plantains, tapioca starch and salt & pepper. Blend until a ball starts to form. Add a little more tapioca starch if it's still too sticky to handle. (It will be a little sticky but you should be able to roll it.
- Next tear off a piece of the dough and roll into a ball. Try to keep the balls uniform in size. Repeat until all of the dough is rolled.
- FOR PRESS: Set up the tortilla press. Place one piece of parchment paper on the bottom, then place one of the balls on the center and place the second sheet of parchment on top of that. The ball should be in between both parchment sheets. Then press!
- FOR Rolling by hand: Place one piece of parchment paper on the bottom, then place one of the balls on the center and place the second sheet of parchment on top of that. The ball should be in between both parchment sheets. Use your rolling pin to roll into a circular shape.
- Peel the sheets apart and set the tortilla on the side. Repeat this for all the balls.
- Next, heat the oil in a saute pan or cast iron skillet on medium. When hot cook the tortillas in batches. Cook approximately 2-3 minutes on each side. Be careful not to burn, some brown is good.
- Enjoy hot right away plain with some butter or use for tacos!