Easy baked Sweet Potato Falafel recipe using fresh herbs, spices and chickpeas! I love this recipe because it’s super flavor and healthy. The slight sweetness from the sweet potato, the mild spice from the paprika, cumin and coriander and the freshness from the herbs makes this recipe a winner in my book. Let me know if you give it a try by tagging @MintPersonalChef on social.
Get the full printable recipe below!
Sweet Potato Falafel Recipe
- Food Processor
- Ice cream scoop or medium spoon
- 1 sheet pan
- Cutting board/ chef’s knife
- 1 Large Sweet potato peeled and medium-large diced (about 2 cups)
- 2- 15 Oz cans Chickpeas drained and rinsed with water
- ½-1 Cup Fresh Cilantro destemmed (sub for parsley or omit if desired)
- ½-1 Cup Fresh Parsley destemmed (sub for cilantro or omit if desired)
- 2-3 Each Garlic cloves peeled and sliced
- 1 Each Shallot peeled and sliced (sub for ¼ red or yellow onion if desired)
- 2 Tsp. Paprika
- 2 Tsp. Cumin
- 1 Tsp. Coriander
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- ½-1 Each Fresh lemon juiced (depending how sour/lemony you prefer it)
- Olive oil As needed
- Non-stick spray As needed (I used avocado, or substitute for olive oil instead)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the diced sweet potato on a sheet pan, season with salt and pepper, drizzle with about 3 Tablespoons or so of olive and give it a good toss to coat.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for approximately 30-45 minutes or until soft and easily pierced with a fork. Add another 10-15 minutes if needed.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the remaining ingredients and set aside. Set up the food processor.
- When the sweet potatoes are finished, remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Add all the ingredients to the food processor and blend until smooth. Add a touch of oil or water and scrape down the sides if it’s having a hard time blending. Be careful not to add too much liquid or the falafel will fall apart and become crumbly. Add about 2-3 Tablespoons of oil/water maximum to start.
- Spray or grease a sheet pan with oil. Using an ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop it onto the pan leaving some space between each.
- Spray the top with non-stick spray and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully flip each falafel using a spatula. Gently press the top after flipping.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Enjoy hot right away or cool down and package for meal prep.