Cheesy pasta shells stuffed with ricotta and spinach cooking tutorial with Chef Julie.
First we make a parmesan cream sauce and then the spinach ricotta filling. The filling has sautéed shallots, garlic, ricotta cheese and a touch of lemon juice to really make it flavorful. Then the shells are stuffed with the filling, topped with the parmesan cream sauce and shredded mozzarella.
It’s all baked until golden brown for a piping hot dinner or meal prep.If you love cheese and pasta then this is the dish for you!
Get the full printable recipe below. Let us know if you tried it by tagging @MintPersonalChef
Baked Ricotta & Spinach Stuffed Shells with Parmesan Cream
- 1 medium - large pot
- 1 colander or strainer
- Cutting board/ chef’s knife
- Saute pan
- Large Baking dish or oven-safe individual meal prep containers
Ingredients - Shells
- 1 package Pasta shells like these: https://amzn.to/3roBwSB
- 1 16-ounce package Ricotta cheese
- ½-¾ Cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3-4 Cups Fresh Spinach washed
- 2-3 Each Garlic cloves minced
- 1 Each Shallot minced (sub for red or yellow onion if desired)
- 3-4 Tbsp. Butter or olive oil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- ½-1 Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice (if desired)
- Fresh basil leaves to garnish As needed
Ingredients - Parmesan Cream (Optional)
- ½-3/4 Cup Heavy cream or sub whole milk
- ½-¾ Cup Parmesan shredded
- 1-2 Tbsp. Butter
- Pepper To Taste
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente “to the bite”, approximately 15 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the parmesan cream recipe below and the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- For the filling: heat a saute pan on medium heat. Add the oil or butter.
- When the pan is hot saute the shallot and garlic until translucent and slightly browned, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t burn.
- Add in half of the spinach, toss and cook until slightly wilted. Then add the second half of spinach and toss. Season with salt, pepper and lemon to taste.
- Add ricotta to the spinach and mix until combined. Set aside and let cool.
- When the pasta is finished cooking, strain it and immediately rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Add 1 Tablespoon of oil and toss.
- Line up the pasta shells, filling and baking dish(s) next to each other. When cool enough to handle stuff the shells by using a spoon and fill with about 1-2 Tablespoons of the ricotta mixture. Place in the dish and repeat until all the filling is used up. (some shells may be left over)
- Spoon the parmesan cream evenly over the top of the shells. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake until lightly golden brown on top, about 15-20 minutes.
- Enjoy hot right away or cool down and package for meal prep.
Instructions for Parmesan Cream (Optional)
- Heat a small-medium sauce pot on medium-low, and add the cream.
- When the cream is warm whisk in the parmesan cheese.
- Whisk frequently until the cheese is incorporated and the cream starts to thicken, about 15 minutes or so.
- Use on top of the stuffed shells or for other pasta dishes.