Chermoula Eggplant with Bulgur Recipe
This eggplant is baked with spices and topped with yogurt, pine nuts, olives and herbs. It so flavorful, yet quick and easy to make. Use a dairy free yogurt to make this dish vegan! You can also substitute rice or quinoa for the bulgur to make it gluten-free. I hope you enjoy this plant based recipe as much as I do. Check out the full printable recipe below and let me know if you tried it by tagging @MintPersonalChef
Interested in learning how to meal prep? Check out my Free 5 Day Meal Prep Challenge for beginners: https://mailchi.mp/61f1fb54634b/mintmealprepchallenge
Chermoula Eggplant with Bulgur Wheat
Eggplant baked with olive oil and spices over bulgur
Servings: 4 people
- Sheet pan or baking pan
- 1 small pot
- Zester or microplane
- Mixing bowls
- 2 each Medium-sized Eggplants
- 1 tsp Garlic powder (or sub 2 minced garlic cloves)
- 1 tsp Onion powder (optional)
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin ground
- .5 tsp Coriander ground
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ½-1 tsp Red chili pepper flakes (optional for spicy)
- 1 each Lemon (1-2 tsp zest & 1 Tbsp juice)
- 5 Tbsp Olive oil
- To Taste Salt and pepper
- ½ Cup Bulgur wheat
- 1 Cup Water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Prep the Spice Mix: blend all the spices, lemon zest and 2 Tbsp oil together in a small bowl
- Cut the eggplant: cut the end off, then cut into 4 pieces lengthwise. Score the inside by making diagonal cuts going one way and then going the other way forming an “X” type pattern. Make sure not to cut all the way through to the dark purple side but deep enough for the spices to soak in.
- Season eggplants with salt and pepper.
- Next, using a spoon pour the spice mixture into the side that was scored with the knife letting it really seep in.
- Flip the eggplant and coat the back side with 1-2 Tbsp of oil. This will help it roast.
- Roast in the oven for about 20-25 minutes for until cooked through. Add an additional 5-10 minutes if needed (this will vary based on how big your eggplant is).
- While the eggplant is cooking, prepare the bulgur. Bring cup of water up to a boil.
- In a heat proof bowl, pour the water over the bulgur to cover and let it soak for about 20 minutes or so.
- Drain the bulgur, then stir in the lemon juice, oregano, salt and olive oil. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Plate it up - First the bulgur, then the eggplant. Top with yogurt, pine nuts, olives, and fresh herbs as desired. Enjoy right away or in the fridge for up to a week.
Tried this recipe?Mention @MintPersonalChef or tag #MintPersonalChef!
- For Vegan: top with a non-dairy yogurt like plain cashew
- For Gluten-free: Make steamed rice or Buckwheat instead of bulgur
- Add your favorite ingredients on top. Additional suggestions: pomegranate seeds, sliced almonds, mint, or basil
Serving: 4g | Calories: 233kcal