Mocha RUM Cupcakes ☕️ 🤤 Chocolate, Rum & coffee is a heavenly combo and the perfect for the holidays coming up!
📣 Don’t forget for the month of November receive a FREE bag of Capresso coffee with your purchase on Capresso.com! This offer is exclusively for Mint followers. Use Code: MINTCHEF20
Mocha Rum Cupcakes with Fresh Whipped Cream
- Muffin or cake pan
- 1 small pot
- 1-2 Medium to large Mixing Bowl
- 1 whisk
- Electric whisk (for whipping cream)
- 1 skewer or fork
- Measuring cups & spoons
Ingredients for cupcakes
- ¾ Cup Butter (1.5 sticks)
- ¾ Cup Chocolate, semi-sweet (about 6 Ounces)
- 1.5 Cups AP Flour
- ¾ Tsp. Baking soda
- 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1/6 Cup Rum (I used dark rum)
- 1 Cup Coffee strongly brewed (I used Capresso West coast blend)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Cups Sugar granulated
- 2 Each Eggs
For adding on top to soak in:
- 3 Tbsp. Rum
- 3 Tbsp. Coffee strongly brewed
For Whipped Cream (Optional)
- 1 Cup Heavy whipping cream
- ¼ Cup Powdered sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
Instructions for cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On the stove top, Melt the butter on medium low until completely melted.
- Add in the chocolate with the butter and stir until melted. Remove immediately after from the heat so it doesn’t burn.
- Mix the sugar, coffee, rum and vanilla into the chocolate mixture and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl mix the dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking soda)
- Add the chocolate mixture to the dry ingredients, combining well but not over mixing it.
- Next, Mix in one egg at a time.
- Coat the pan with oil or butter, then fill 2/3 of the way with the batter leaving a little room at the top so it doesn’t overflow.
- Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes until cooked through. Insert a toothpick into the center of one and if it comes out clean with no batter then they’re finished. You can also slightly shake the pan and if they don’t wiggle at all they’re good.
- Let cool completely before removing (so they don’t break apart)
- Take the skewer or fork and make several holes in the top.
- Mix together the coffee and rum and pour a little on top of each cupcake letting it soak in.
- keep in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Garnish with fresh whipped cream as desired & enjoy your coffee rum filled deliciousness!
Instructions for Fresh Whipped Cream
- In a mixing bowl add all the cream, vanilla extract and sugar.
- Whisk on low at first until the sugar is incorporated and then turn to the highest setting.
- Whip until medium peaks form and cream starts to become “stiff”. Be careful not to over whip or you’ll have butter instead!
- Add a big spoonful on top of the Mocha rum cupcake and enjoy!
- Add in some mascarpone to the whipped cream
- Warm up the rum cake slightly before serving if desired
- Add in 1-2 tsp. cinnamon or pumpkin spice mix to the cake batter
- Enjoy with a fresh cup of coffee