How to Make Teriyaki Sauce
It’s so quick to make and a million times better than pre-bottled teriyaki. I use fresh ginger and a squeeze of lime in my version. This healthier teriyaki sauce is great for adding a burst of flavor to your meal prep!
Full printable recipe below, happy eating!
-Chef Julie & the Mint Team 👩🏻🍳🌱
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipe
How to make Teriyaki sauce from scratch. I use fresh ginger & a squeeze of lime in my version. Use for meal prep or dishes to add a punch of flavor.
Servings: 1 Cup
- Medium Saute pan
- Knife and cutting board
- Small prep bowls
- 1-2 Tbsp Coconut oil or other neutral flavored oil
- 1/4 Cup Onion finely minced
- 3-4 Each Garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce or Tamari or Coco Aminos
- 1 Tsp Fresh ginger grated
- 1 Tsp Fresh lime juice Optional
- 1/4 Tsp Lime zest Optional
- 1/4 Cup Brown sugar Sub Coconut sugar, honey, or maple syrup if desired
- 2 Tsp Arrowroot starch Sub potato starch or corn starch if desired
- 1 Tsp Red Chili Pepper Flakes Optional for spicy
- 2 Tsp Sesame seeds Optional
- 1/2 – 1 Cup Water
- Start by chopping up the onions and garlic, ginger and lime and set aside.
- In a medium saute pan on medium heat, heat the oil.
- Saute the onion until translucent for about 1-2 minutes, add the garlic and cook 1 more minute. (Stir frequently so it doesn’t burn)
- Immediately add the soy sauce and about ¼ C. of water
- Add the lime juice, lime zest, sugar and stir well. Bring the sauce up to a boil and down to a simmer.
- In a small bowl add the starch and about 1 Tablespoon of water, stir well until dissolved making a “slurry”.
- Add half of the slurry slowly to the sauce while whisking. The sauce will start to thicken. If it’s not thick enough add the rest until desired thickness is reached. If your sauce is too thick add a touch of water.
- Add in the sesame seeds or chili flakes if using them. Taste and adjust the ingredients if needed.
Tried this recipe?Mention @MintPersonalChef or tag #MintPersonalChef!
- Keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks or freeze to last up to 3 months.
Serving: 2g | Calories: 223kcal