Just in time for your Labor Day BBQ! Whip up my healthier version of BBQ Sauce to go with literally everything. Burgers, chicken, sweet potato fries or anything else you want to add a punch of flavor to, give it a try! 🤤🥩🍽🔥
Full printable recipe below. Happy Eating!
-Chef Julie & The Mint Team 🌱
Homemade Barbecue Sauce
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Onion minced
- 3-4 Each Garlic cloves minced
- 1-2 Tsp Chili powder or Paprika ground Optional
- 1 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar Sub another vinegar if desired
- 8 Oz Tomato Sauce canned
- 1/4 Cup Coconut sugar Sub Maple syrup, honey, or brown sugar if desired
- 1-2 Tbsp Honey Optional
- 1-2 Tsp Dijon mustard Optional
- 1-2 Tsp Worcestershire Sauce Optional
- 2 Tsp Soy Sauce Sub Gluten-Free tamari or coco aminos if desired
- 2 Tsp Oregano, dried Optional
- 1/4 Tsp Liquid Smoke Optional
- To Taste Salt and pepper
- Start by chopping up the onions and garlic, set aside.
- In a saute pan on medium heat, heat the oil.
- Saute the onion until translucent and lightly browned, season with salt & pepper.
- Add the garlic & cook 1-2 minutes more, stirring occasionally so the garlic doesn’t burn. Add the spices at the last min.
- Deglaze the pan with the vinegar (AKA add the vinegar)
- Add in the tomato sauce, stir well.
- Add in the remaining ingredients: coconut sugar, honey, Dijon, Worcetershire, soy sauce, oregano & liquid smoke.
- Lightly simmer for 5-10 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Add a touch of water if the sauce gets too dry.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper and seasonings.
- Serve it hot or cool it down to use later on. Use on any dish you’d like to add a punch of flavor!