Coconut Shrimp & Sweet Chili Sauce Tutorial 🍤🌶
Delectable Crispy coconut shrimp accompanied by sweet and spicy chili sauce makes the perfect appetizer to share (or not). 😍 Check out my full tutorial & recipe Happy eating everyone!
-Chef Julie & The Mint Crew
(Full printable recipe below)
Coconut Shrimp & Sweet Chili Sauce
- 2 Saute pans
- 3 mixing bowls
- 2-3 paper towel sheets
- 2 large plates
- 1 fork or whisk
Ingredients for Coconut Shrimp
- 1 pound Shrimp shelled & cleaned
- 2 Each Eggs
- 1/2 – 1 Cup Coconut shredded
- 1/2 Cup Panko bread crumbs Gluten-free if desired
- 1/2 Cup AP Flour Gluten-free if desired
- 1/2 Cup Oil neutral in flavor (we used avocado)
- To Taste Salt & pepper
Ingredients for Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1-2 Each Chili peppers minced, Thai chili or Fresno
- 1/2 Tbsp Oil like sesame, avocado or coconut
- 1/4 – 1/2 Cup Coconut Sugar or granulated sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
Instructions for Coconut Shrimp
- Set up a breading station: In the first bowl add the flour, in the second crack open the eggs and whisk well with 1 T. water. In the third bowl mix the coconut & bread crumbs. (arrange in that order – flour, egg, then coconut mixture)
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper
- Bread the shrimp: Working in batches, first coat in flour and shake off any excess flour, then dip in the egg mixture, then coat in the coconut/breadcrumb mixture. Lay aside on a plate or pan.
- Repeat step 2 until all the shrimp are breaded. Discard any leftover breading mixture.
- On the stovetop, heat a medium-large saute pan on medium heat with the oil until hot, about 2-3 minutes. The oil should generously coat the bottom of the pan. Add more oil if needed.
- While the oil is heating get a plate ready with some paper towels for when the shrimp is done cooking. (This will absorb any excess oil so the shrimp doesn’t get soggy).
- Cook the shrimp in batches and don’t overcrowd the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side. If it starts to brown to quickly then lower the heat so it doesn’t burn and the shrimp cooks through.
- Remove the first batch and drain on the paper towels.
- Continue until all the shrimp is cooked. If there are a lot of burned bits in the pan you can switch out the oil in between batches if desired. Just repeat step 4.
- Enjoy it with the Sweet chili sauce below!
Instructions for Sweet Chili Sauce
- On the stove top heat the oil in a saute or sauce pan.
- Saute the pepper for 1-2 minutes until lightly translucent.
- Mix in the sugar and water, then bring up to a boil.
- Reduce down to a simmer and let cook for about 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally until the mixture is reduced and thickened. It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Enjoy with coconut shrimp or add in to other dishes for a sweet & spicy kick!
- Use your favorite pepper for the chili sauce, we like to use Thai chili or Fresno.
- This recipe can be made using Gluten-free alternatives if desired.
- Substitute 100% coconut shreds instead of breadcrumbs if desired and vice versa, you can use 100% breadcrumbs.