Delicious Gluten-free Vegan BBQ Jackfruit Tacos! My easy BBQ sauce recipe is made from scratch and totally customize-able to what you like: sweet, spicy, smoky, tangy – it’s up to you! Eating vegan can be delicious too.
See below for the full printable recipe!
This video is a part of a 2-video series. Check out “How to make Plantain Tortillas” for the first part or use pre-made tortillas.
Let me know if you’ve tried it out by tagging @MintPersonalChef on social
BBQ Jackfruit Tacos
- 15 oz Jackfruit, canned, shredded
- 2 T Avocado oil
- .5 C Onion, minced
- 4-5 each Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T Apple cider vinegar Sub lemon or lime if desired
- 10-15 oz Tomato Sauce, canned
- 1/4 C Coconut sugar Sub Maple syrup, honey, or brown sugar if desired OR omit
- To Taste Salt and pepper
- 1-2 tsp Cumin, ground Optional
- 1-2 tsp Paprika, ground Optional
- 2 tsp. Coco Aminos Sub tamari or omit
- 1-2 tsp Chipotle hot sauce Optional. Sub 1/4 tsp Cayenne if desired.
- 1/4 tsp Liquid Smoke Optional
- Garnish Radish, Jalapenos, red onion, cilantro, vegan sour cream or cheese Optional, use what you like!
- Start by chopping up the onions, garlic & garnishes. Shred the jackfruit, set aside.
- In a saute pan on medium heat, heat the oil.
- Saute the onion until translucent, season with salt & pepper.
- Add the garlic & cook 2-3 minutes more. Add the spices at this time as well. Be careful not to burn.
- Deglaze the pan with the vinegar.
- Add in the tomato sauce, stir well.
- Add in the coconut sugar, coco aminos, chipotle & liquid smoke (if using these).
- Lightly simmer for 8-10 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Add a touch of water if the sauce gets too dry.
- Add in the Jackfruit to the sauce, mix well and cook for a few minutes until it gets hot. In the meantime, heat up the tortillas.
- Plate it up! Place some of the BBQ Jackfruit in the center of each tortilla, then top with the garnishes and serve hot!