Delicious baked Zucchini Rolls stuffed with fresh ricotta + mozzarella then topped with a homemade tomato basil sauce. A comforting Italian-style recipe that isn’t pasta! (Low-carb, Ketogenic, and Vegetarian!) See the two-part recipe below.
Start with a homemade tomato basil sauce then assemble and bake the rolls. Make sure to tag @MintPersonalChef in your food photos and let us know how you liked our recipe! 😍🍅🌱🥒🍽
Tomato Basil Sauce (or Soup)
- 4-6 pieces Vine-ripe tomatoes diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic cloves sliced
- 1 handful fresh basil
- Dried Italian herbs
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup Broth of choice (2 cups if making soup)
- Sauté the onions until lightly browned, add garlic & cook 1-2 more minutes (be careful not to burn
- Add tomatoes, dried herbs, broth, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Let cook so the flavors can develop for 10-15 minutes or so. (Add a touch more liquid if needed
- Remove from the heat and let cool until room temp. Add to Vitamix or blender along with the fresh basil and puree until smooth
Baked Zucchini Rolls
- 4-5 Each Zucchini or Yellow squash
- 8 OZ (1 package) Fresh Ricotta Cheese
- 1-1.5 Cups Mozzarella cheese
- .25 Cups Parmesan cheese
- 1 each Tomato basil sauce Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Cut both ends off the zucchini. – About ⅛ of an inch or so thick – discard the first and last 2-3 pieces that will be unusable.
- When all the squash has been sliced, lay out about 4-5 pieces at a time: start with piece one, then lay the second overlapping the first by about .5 an inch or so.
- Repeat this with about 4-5 pieces.
- Repeat steps 3 & 4 until all the squash has been used up. You should have at least about 6-8 sections or rolls
- Next, with two spoons scoop about 2-3 T. or so of ricotta in the middle of each zucchini section.
- Sprinkle about 1 T of mozzarella on top of the ricotta. Season with salt and pepper.
- Time to roll them up! Using your fingers grab the ends of the zucchini and tightly roll over the top of the cheese to form the roll. Continue rolling until the seams are at the bottom and you have a perfect zucchini roll. Repeat this for all the sections of zucchini.
- Top each roll with the tomato basil sauce.
- Lastly top each roll with mozzarella and parmesan (make as cheesy as you’d like, don’t be shy!)
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and starts getting browned. You could use the broiler setting for the last 3-5 minutes if you like it more crispy brown on top.
- Top with fresh basil and enjoy!