Often times our personal chef clients will request a recipe for a dish they loved and they always get the same answer – we don’t normally use recipes! But you’re in luck because we put together a recipe for our vegan ricotta zucchini lasagna. You’re gonna love it (even if you aren’t vegan) so we obviously highly recommend giving it a try or you could just call us and we’ll make it for you! 😉
Are you vegan? Mint has Vegan meal prep options available. Give us a call to chat about it, we’d love to hear from you!
Vegan Ricotta Zucchini “Lasagna”
- 1 each Vegan ricotta recipe (See separate recipe)
- 1 each Tomato basil sauce recipe (See separate recipe)
- 3-4 each Zucchini or yellow squash longer/thicker ones work best
- Salt + pepper To Taste
- Prepare the tomato sauce and ricotta beforehand.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut both ends off of the zucchini. Using a mandolin, slice length-wise on a medium-thick setting. Make sure the zucchini slice is whole. (about 1/8”-1/4” thick)
- In a 9X9 glass dish, coat the bottom with a little of the sauce. Line the bottom with zucchini slices, overlapping them slightly. Make two layers, season.
- Spread half of the ricotta evenly over the zucchini using a spatula. Cover with some of the sauce.
- Repeat layering with the remaining zucchini with the last layer ending with the remaining tomato sauce. Cover top with vegan parmesan or mozzarella if desired or leave plain.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until the zucchini is just cooked through.
- Let cool slightly before serving or can be refrigerated and enjoyed within a week.
Lasagna image credit
Photographer: Jennifer Causey
Food Stylist: Margaret Monroe Dickey Prop Stylist: Claire Spollen
Tomato Basil Sauce (or Soup)
- 4-6 pieces Vine-ripe tomatoes diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic cloves sliced
- 1 handful fresh basil
- Dried Italian herbs
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 cup Broth of choice (2 cups if making soup)
- Sauté the onions until lightly browned, add garlic & cook 1-2 more minutes (be careful not to burn
- Add tomatoes, dried herbs, broth, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Let cook so the flavors can develop for 10-15 minutes or so. (Add a touch more liquid if needed
- Remove from the heat and let cool until room temp. Add to Vitamix or blender along with the fresh basil and puree until smooth
Cashew Ricotta Recipe
- blender or food processor
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews soaked in water
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper To taste
- Soak the cashews for at least 1.5-2 hours in water to cover the cashews
- Drain cashews, discarding the water and place all remaining ingredients into a blender or food processor, process until creamy. You can leave a little “chunkier” if you like.
- Taste and season to your liking with lemon, salt + pepper.
- Place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to an hour to stiffen the mixture or use right away if needed.